carpet care FAQs
Learn more about Carpet Care through these frequently asked questions.
Click on a question below to go directly to its answer or scroll down to read all questions.
- How should I maintain my STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Will vacuuming regularly decrease the stain resistant chemical in my carpet?
- Does steam cleaning affect stain resistance of STAINMASTER® carpet?
- How do I remove a stain from my STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Can stains be removed from STAINMASTER® carpet no matter how long they are left on?
- Do cleaning solvents harm the stain resistance mechanism?
- Can you use other spot cleaning procedures or just water on STAINMASTER® carpet?
- Are there deodorizers for use after cleaning stain/odor from carpet?
- Do I have to apply an after-treatment to preserve my STAINMASTER® warranty?
- Will I void my warranty by applying an after-treatment?
- Can you recommend a professional carpet cleaner? Does STAINMASTER® have certified cleaners?
- How often do you recommend you have your carpet professionally cleaned?
- Is do-it-yourself carpet cleaning okay?
There are three key steps in a proper maintenance plan: Vacuum frequently, clean spills promptly, and have professional carpet cleanings at least annually. Remember, also, to maintain your texture retention warranty, you need to have a professional steam cleaning/ hot water extraction at least every 18 months.
No. Regular vacuuming is an important part of complete carpet maintenance. Vacuuming will help to remove dry soil particles that can dull fibers and cause matting to occur.
No. Tests indicate steam cleaning does not affect the stain resistance performance of STAINMASTER® carpet. STAINMASTER® carpet warranties require steam cleaning or hot water extraction by a carpet care professional at least every 18 months.
Our recommended cleaning procedure is the use of a mild liquid dishwashing detergent with sufficient quantities of water to flush the stain out of the carpet. After each application of the detergent and water, be sure to blot any excess moisture with a clean white cloth. Always blot from the outer edge of the stain, moving towards the middle to prevent spreading. On more difficult stains or larger areas, INVISTA recommends a professional cleaning.
You will always want to remove the stain as soon as possible, but with the protection of STAINMASTER® carpet you can remove most stains even after 24 hours. Of course, it depends on what type of stain it is as to whether it can be removed after a certain time has elapsed. Repeated attempts at stain removal and/or seeking the assistance of a carpet cleaning professional may be necessary in certain circumstances.
Certain cleaning solvents may affect colorfastness, or harm the stain resistant chemistry. You should always do a small spot check to assure that the solvent is safe on your carpet.
STAINMASTER® carpet is engineered so that the stain molecules do not adhere to the fiber. Our recommended cleaning procedure is the use of a mild liquid dishwashing detergent with sufficient quantities of water to flush the stain out of the carpet. A wet vacuum or steam-cleaning machine may be used on heavy or difficult stains. This procedure is for spot cleaning or the removal of stains ONLY. We recommend periodic professional cleaning as part of your regular maintenance plan for your carpet.
Yes. Consult a professional cleaner for recommendations on professional deodorizing products. Otherwise we recommend a mixture of two tablespoons white distilled vinegar to one-quart water.
If you use a fluorine based (water-based) after-treatment product, you will not void your STAINMASTER® warranty. However, some after-treatments are solvent-based or silicone-based which may invalidate your warranty. If you have questions on the contents of any after-treatment, you should contact the manufacturer prior to using it on your carpet.
STAINMASTER® recommends you consult the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC) at 1-800-835-4624. Or access their website at www.IICRC.org
Frequency of cleaning should be determined based on household conditions. We recommend a professional cleaning at least every 12 months. (Professional steam cleaning/ hot water extraction at least every 18 months is required to maintain your warranty).
Professional cleaning is recommended for any carpet. If you decide to do it yourself, carefully follow these guidelines:
- Follow the manufacturer's directions carefully. Avoid using too much detergent, as it could cause resoiling. Rinse thoroughly.
- Use only cleaning solutions that are acceptable for use on stain and soil resistant carpet. Cationic or chemicals with a pH greater than 10 should be avoided as they may void your warranty.
- Remember that professional cleaning is required at least every 18 months to maintain your warranty.